The new steed
Updated: 2 days ago
I needed a second set of wheels and didn't have room for another car so I bought this. 😍
1998 Honda SuperHawk as it's called here in America but the rest of the world it's called a FireStorm. I love both names.
Ive already begun to buy parts for the beast for not only maintenance but for better performance and to also make it an able bike for the street and track.
Here's a picture of how she'll look with the new under belly pan I bought. The big luggage bag on the rear won't be on the bike. Pic is for reference. 🤷🏼♂️😁
The cam chain tensioners will be changed out with manual units as these tensioners are a known failure for these 'Hawks. I had to buy a front and rear bike stand by PitBull so I can store the bike off the wheels and work on it.
Im also upgrading the front brakes with a set of Honda CBR600F4i front calipers, F4i master cylinder, A Coerce front fork brace to keep the front end more stable, and a shifter stabilizer plate to remove the slack out of the shift lever.
I also got a yellow rear fender for the bike to keep dirt and grit from the shock and chain. The yellow is in commemoration of the Paseo. 😍
Ive got a lot of plans for this bike but like the car they'll be sourced and bought in time. Im in no hurry and more worried about reliability and safety at the moment.
I'll be updating this blog as I get things going so stay tuned. 👍😎
Since I'm waiting for parts to arrive I thought I'd show my first motorcycle the Kawasaki KZ400. I purchased this about 26 years ago, did a nice restoration on it and rode it for a solid year. Heat bike but I quickly outgrew what the bike was capable of so sold it in hopes of getting a sport bike. 26 years later here we are. 👍😂
The above isn't my actual bike but it's exactly as mine was when it was restored. Pictures are from the internet for reference. Actual pictures of the bike were lost long ago. 😔
More to come as I get more picture and continue to figure out how to work this site. 😂😜
It's time for an update on the bike and the progression. Of parts coming in daily for the rebuild and upgrades. Here's some pictures of some of the newer stuff coming in and I have a ton of work to do I. The next 3 months.
You can see the new stands for the bike. These are pretty much mandatory for working on the bike and for storage while I'm out driving. Front and rear wheel bearing set, new MOSFET rectifier and regulator from a Kawasaki that I'll be splicing in to replace the factory unit which fails a lot, and new 3 bar radiator caps for the cooling system.
Front caliper from a CBR600F4i along with the master cylinder and levers from the F4i. This is a major upgrade in braking and minor modification to the calipers will make them fit perfect.
Rebuild kit for the brake calipers, master cylinder, rear brake rebuild kit, and the clutch rebuild kit.
New rear sprocket and drive sprocket kit with chain for better gearin and a lighter 520 chain setup to reduce mass in the drive system. 😉😜
Last my new bottom cowl to add once everything is done and also got a couple of used rear peg and exhaust pipe hangers that I'll be modifying to remove the pegs, grind down and cut off the peg mounts, and then finish by grinding the thinner support part of the bracket to clean up the exhaust hangers. Should look sweet when done and some nice custom work that I love doing.
Thats it for now and I'll post up more in a few weeks when I'm home working on the bike. 👍😎
Oh here's a quick video of the bike on the stands. 😍🔥
Some updates as I have time to add a few things. Got some new fri t rotors from EBC and a new clutch slave cylinder from Oberon to smooth out the shifting a bit over the stock unit
Some new rear hub bushings for that new bike feel, new mirror extensions so I can actually see what's behind me, and some Samco silicone hoses with clamps for some bling and durable coolant piping
ProBolt 7075-T6 aluminum wind screen hardware along with hardware for the rest of the fairings and fenders.
Last are the frame sliders for that just in case lay over or fall which I hope will never happen but these will help protect the bike a bit from that.
Some pictures of the bike being worked on and tear down so I can rebuild this bike to new condition and make sure it's as it's supposed to be.
Front forks removed to be shipped off to DMr Suspension Performance for some upgrading and rework.
Air box removed for carb access and modification and I'm removing the PAIRS system and crankcase system in the air box to open up the volume of the box for more air to the carbs.
Electrical work will also be upgraded as will the lighting for better visibility and better electrical efficiency.
Here are some of the modifications and upgrades already done while I was home.
I added the new oil cap with safety line to the bike so on track days I don't have to worry about it coming loose and leaving oil all over the track. 😳😉😂
I swapped out the rear peg and can brace bolt and went with something a bit nicer looking. Looks much better.
I also replaced the regulator/ rectifier with a MOSFET unit from a Kawasaki for better, more consistent charging, and it won't burn out like the factory unit is prone to do.
I further modified the tail plate license section by ridding it of the bulky OEM license plate light and adding some marker lights for better visibility. I'm not done here yet as there's more to come on this section when I get home in January.
Last I did a baffelectomy where the internal main baffle is removed for better sound and a bit better exhaust flow. I used a 2-1/8" hole saw that was 2-1/2" deep to make the cut and used my Dremmel tool to finish it out. It came out looking great and can't wait to hear it roar when it's done. 😂😜
That's it for now as I'm out driving the freight shaker to thicken the wallet for some riding classes for when I get home.